In This Post Everything You Need To Know TRAI Regulations About SMS DLT Approval in 2021.
An increase in spam and fraudulent messages have seen a spike in recent times. After the lockdown hit the country, there has been a rise in the number of fraudulent commercial communications that people have complained about and been victims of.
Keeping these things in mind, TRAI (The Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India) has been looking out for ways to improve the current system and finally, has been able to implement something which can help improve end to the end-user experience and once and for all, eliminate any such activities.
Now, every business entity which has been using SMS as a marketing channel has been mandated to register the entities, SenderIDs, and SMS templates in a centralized DLT portal from operators. Following the TRAI Regulations About SMS DLT Approval registration guidelines, let’s have a look at some procedures that will help you set up your SMS services for your business.
How to Register Your Company on The Operators Website?
To register your company on the operator’s website, follow the steps given below;
- The first step is to register your company on the operator’s website.
(P.S: The registration to these platforms might carry a service fee.
- During the DLT registration process, please keep the following documents in handy;
- Business ID – Business PAN (Govt Issued)
- Business ID – GST or TAN Certificate
- Letter of Authorization
- The Government ID of the authorized individual
- Your Telemarketers ID
- Once you complete your registration on any of the above-mentioned platforms, you will need to update your KYC on your DLT operator’s portal mandatorily. This will ensure better delivery of your SMS with the use of your unique PE ID.
Note: After you have received your approval from your operator, you will receive a Principal Entity ID.
How to Register Header (Sender ID)?
Before you begin registering for your sender ID, make sure you have completed your entity registration with the DLT operator. Once you have completed the above-mentioned procedure, you can proceed with the aforementioned steps.
Concerning the Sender ID, two steps need attention at the moment;
- Speaking concerning the new notification being circulated, bank notifications are classified into transactional. For all other services, OTP messages will be considered as service implicit. For getting access, you need to get the service implicit Sender ID type.
- Now, every promotional message will require a unique numeric sender ID For your particular industry, make sure to match the numeric of your header with the list given below;
- Banking/Insurance/Financial products/ credit cards: e.g., 110011
- Real Estate: e.g., 220022
- Education: e.g., 330033
- Health e.g., 440044
- Consumer goods and automobiles e.g., 550055
- Communication/Broadcasting / Entertainment/IT e.g., 660066
- Tourism and Leisure e.g., 770077
- Food and Beverages e.g., 880088
Different Types of SMS To Know About Before Registration
Following are the types of SMS’s that are now being classified into. To know which one you fall into, keep reading;
These are commercial communications that can be sent to an SMS Marketing service subscriber who has not put themselves on DND. As per recent regulations, the timings for fleeting out your SMS Marketing campaigns are anywhere between 10 AM to 9 PM only.
Anything initiated by a bank that contains an OTP will be classified as a transactional message. No banks are exceptions and all of them fall under this category.
Messages initiated by the customer about a purchased service will fall under this category.
Every message that does not fall under implicit, falls under explicit. Hence, only if you have consent, you will be able to send them messages.
Keep Yourself Updated: Regulation Checklist
The following updates are the ones you should keep an eye on and know about as a business owner. Keep reading to know more;
- The last date to register your business entities on the DTL platform of operators was on the 31st of May 2020. If your company is not registered, you will not be able to send any message across India.
- On March 8th, 2021, Template registration and scrubbing were planned out. Everyone is advised to comply with the set changes as soon as possible to avoid any kind of stoppage of services.
- If you have registered already, you will need to update the same with brand names by the 31st of October 2020.
- Templates that have been registered after the 11th of October,2020 should be done with brand names only failing which the registration will be considered invalid.
- Principal Entity ID is mandatory from the 19th of November.
- Enforcement of the DLT template ID is from March 8, 2021.
That’s a wrap for today. We hope you sound this article useful and will do the needful as soon as possible to avoid any stoppage of services. If your services have stopped, we recommend you get your entity registered to get back on track with your competitors. If you think we missed out on something, feel free to share it in the comment section below. Till then, take care, stay safe, and register as soon as possible.